Recently, Xiaomi has finally released the MIUI 8.2 for the Xiaomi Mi Pad 2. I know it is a bit overdue, but is it good Upgrading?
Honestly, I am not a fan of updating, since my experience with previous MIUI updates were not great. My Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 came with Windows, so I used my guide to update it to Android. And so far, I’ve been stuck on MIUI 7.2, since updating to 7.5, is a nightmare, with performance issues, bugs, and applications such as Youtube not working properly.
PS: If you want to know how to update your Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 Windows to Android, go here
Now, I am confident that the new MIUI 8.2 is much more stable and I would recommend updating to it. So here are the lists of improvements.
- A brand new Homescreen Wallpaper
- The icons look a bit smaller and the screen actually looks a bit bigger, because of more screen room
- I have noticed that it is faster, more fluid in the UI transitions and doesn’t anymore lock up when you open a lot of apps.
- Antutu Benchmark scores adds 5K points, other benchmarks like Geekbench, PCMark, have the same score as before
- No more lock ups or freezing of the device on WiFi page
New added features and effects:
- When you change the orientation to Landscape, Quickball will appear, it is similar to iOs Assistive Touch which is basically a shortcut on the navigation buttons
How about Gaming?
Sorry, no changes. It struggles on most 3D intensive games like Mortal Combat X, Modern Combat 5 and Asphalt 8. Frankly, Intel Atom, Retina Screen and only 2 GB RAM doesn’t really sit well with a gaming set up.
What I don’t like:
- It installed Xiaomi Mi Live, which is a bloatware, but thankfully it can be removed easily
- It’s still Android 5.1 Lollipop. Xiaomi Why!!! No Marshmallow, Nougat… A year later and still at 5.1 quite a disappointment
Should you upgrade?
Yes, it is currently the most Stable MIUI available from Xiaomi. So far, using it for 2 days, I haven’t noticed any issues or problems with apps. It seems to work well.