This is a detailed step by step fastboot guide on how I changed my Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 Windows 10 version to MIUI 7.2 or Android 5.1 Lollipop.
I am not the original author of this tutorial, I found this on a miui forum site, I tested this myself and it works 100%. I did made the process a bit more detailed so beginners can follow it properly.
Why I changed to Android?
Honestly, Windows 10 on this tablet is seriously boring and sluggish. I mean, you have limited apps, and overall user experience isn’t on par with Android. The tablet is also not very powerful and gaming on it isn’t a likely option. Intel Atom chipset isn’t a powerhouse chip, so Android is the better suited OS for it.
Disclaimer: Flashing your tablet to another firmware will surely void it’s warranty, there’s no going back to windows as the Mi Pad 2 doesn’t support Dual OS (although it was rumored before). Also, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your tablets, I did this on my own risk, so please be responsible for your own gadget. The steps are quite long and I also included a video so you can follow along with the process. And lastly, there is no going back after going to Android, although there is a separate guide for installing windows.
Also, please back up your files, because doing this procedure will clean up all files on your storage
What you need:
Download the following Softwares below:
- Intel Android Driver Set-up (this is the adb) – link here
- Fastboot ROM (make sure to choose the MiPad 2 version) – link here (MIUI 7.5)
- Fastboot ROM (i used this ROM now) – MIUI 7.2
- Google Play for Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 Android – link here
- Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 – i suggest you get the Android version if you haven’t got one
Video Guide: Step by Step Process
To get started you need to first download the needed files. Please refer to the Full Written guide on the description box below for the download lnks.
- You need to first make sure that Intel Android Driver Set up is installed, so that your tablet an be recognized by your computer.
- Next Download the appropriate Fastboot ROM for your Tablet, please do not experiment on other ROMs, it may brick your device.
Extract or decompress the files and then go to images and find the file name loader.efi (it will be important in the next steps)
After doing those, you need to turn off your tablet but make sure it has enough battery on it.
Ready your USB cable but don’t plugged it yet to the computer, you need to enter DNX fastboot mode on the tablet to proceed. To do this, Press the Volume up and down and the Power button keys simultaneously for 3 to 5 secs. The screen will usually alert you of the DNX fastboot mode.
Then plugged in the tablet to the computer via the USB cable.
Go to the folder of your Fastboot ROM you just downloaded, go to images. Hit Shift and right click then go to open command window here.
On the command prompt, type “Fastboot devices”, if you see a device serial number, then you can proceed to the next step. If not, you did not install the Intel Android Driver Installer.
On the command prompt again, type “Fastboot boot” (do not included the parenthesis) and then drag the loader.efi to the command prompt. Hit enter and then the tablet will go to fastboot mode
Involves unlocking the tablet’s bootloader. Note that this will delete all your data.
On the command prompt, type “fastboot oem unlock” (no parenthesis), your tablet will then reboot and will prompt you if you want to unlock the bootloader. Hit yes and then you can proceed to the next step.
Note: If it doesn’t reboot and go to fastboot mode, force restart by pressing Volume Up and Down and the Power button again, repeat Step 3 to 6.
This step is a bit tedious, you need to be careful and follow the steps in order.
- On the command prompt again, type “fastboot flash oemvars” then drag oemvars.txt to the command prompt, hit enter then it will flash it.
Repeat these steps until you are finished. (no parenthesis) – FOLLOW in order
Drag means – Drag to command prompt
2. type “fastboot flash oemvars” —– Drag (oemvars-battery-config-fake-disabled.txt)
3. type “fastboot flash oemvars” ——Drag (oemvars-battery-config-fake.txt)
4. type “fastboot flash gpt” ——-Drag (gpt.bin)
5. type “fastboot flash bootloader” —- Drag (bootloader)
6. type “fastboot erase misc“
7. type “fastboot erase persistent“
8. type “fastboot erase metadata“
9. type “fastboot format config“
10. type “fastboot format factory“
11. type “fastboot format cache“
12.type “fastboot flash data” ———— Drag (userdata.img)
13. type “fastboot flash system” ————-Drag (system.img)
14. type “fastboot flash boot” ————— Drag (boot.img)
15. type “fastboot flash recovery” ———-Drag (recovery.img)
Make sure that everything is OK. no failure on the flashing process. On the command prompt again type “fastboot reboot” and your tablet will reboot now. A warning will prompt suddenly every restart, it is just a notification that the bootloader is unlocked. Press volume up and it will then reboot normally.
Now you are running MIUI 7.2 OS based on Android 5.1, remember that this is a Chinese ROM, so you need to install Playstore manually.
If sometimes you are stuck with 42% battery on your tablet, it is because of the fastboot fake battery. Don’t panic! You should go to fastboot mode first and only reflash this: type on command prompt “fastboot flash oemvars” —– Drag (oemvars-battery-config-fake-disabled.txt)
After that, type: Fastboot reboot and check if it charges up to 100%
INSTALLING GOOGLE PLAY MANUALLY:
Installing Playstore: this guide i saw on techtablets (credits to author), and i just want to share it, i also reuploaded, just to make sure that the the files are always available.
- Download the files needed (link is provided above)
- Copy them to your tablet
- Install them in order
- GoogleServices Framwork
- After that restart your tablet 2 times (very important to work)
- Login and Register, test if it updates or if you can install and download apps
Other sources: miui forum (author TeoZrce) – many thanks
Here is my short video review of the Xiaom Mi Pad 2 Android version already
I already did a review on the Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 Windows 10 version, this is just a follow-up, and my opinions on the benefits of the Android OS on this tablet. If you haven’t purchased this tablet, I highly suggest that you get the Android version, it’s a much better fit for the system and the experience is a lot better. If you wan’t to read the full review of the windows version, Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 Windows 10 Full Review.
I hope this guide will help anyone struggling to do this procedure, this guide is detailed to help even the novice and beginners. As always, please be careful and responsible of your own gadget.