Ever wonder how the Intel Atom stack against the Intel Core M Skylake? The video is meant to answer long standing questions with regards to performance and gaming.
In the video below, the Intel Atom Cherry Trail is represented by the Teclast X98 Plus. And on the other side, the Intel Core M Skylake is represented by the Cube i7 Book.
Here are the brief specs of the tablets below:
Teclast X98 Plus 2
- Intel Atom Cherry Trail X5-Z8300 Quad Core
- 4 GB RAM and 64 GB eMMC Storage
- Dual OS (64 bit Windows 10 and Android 5.1 Lollipop)
- 9.7 inch IPS Retina Display
- More info here
Cube i7 Book
- Intel Core M3-Y630 Skylake
- 4 GB RAM and 64 GB SSD Storage
- Windows 10 64 bit Home Edition
- 10.6 inch IPS 1080p Display
- More info here
Below is the summary of the video above:
The Intel Atom Cherry Trail is basically a mainstream chipset, it is available along all price ranges, from Sub$100 to the high $200.
- The performance is modest and especially in the Windows 10 Platform, it can handle light to apps in general and one of these is Photoshop. However, it does not handle well multitasking. Multiple opened programs and apps will seriously caused performance instabilities. I think Android is the better platform, speaking also of my experience with the Xiaomi Mi Pad 2.
- It is not ideal for Mainstream games, Dota 2 struggled as well as LOL (League of Legends). Counterstrike will run fine but with adjusted details to the bare minimum for good fps.
- More so, on the Android Platform, you can easily run light to moderate games without any issues. Fast rendering and 3D intensive titles games like Asphalt 8 and Modern will struggle especially if paired with Retina and 1080p Displays.
- The Chipset is available even on the Ultra budget tablets, even Sub$100 tablets offer the same performance
- Even with the hardware limitations, it does pose a great advantage. It natively supports Dual OS, which the Skylake Chip does not.
- From my test, although it may differ from tablet to tablet, the Atom Chip as 10C hotter compared to the Intel Skylake. Also collaborated with the old Teclast X98 Pro. On the other hand, the Xiaomi Mi Pad 2 ran cooler than the Teclast X98 Plus 2.
- Basing from the benchmark results, it is thrice as fast compared to the Intel Atom Cherry Trail
- Graphically, the Intel HD515 is able to handle mainstream games with ease. Dota 2, LOL and Counterstrike ran without any lags at adjusted level of details.
- It is also powerful enough to handle light to moderate applications without any issues
- However, with the quick and snappy performance, it is only available on Windows 10, and no Dual OS is available yet.
- The chip also ran 10C cooler compared to the Intel Atom Chip
- The Skylake chip is a premium chip and thus it is quite expensive.