This is the guide I used to change my Xiaomi Mi Air 12 Chinese Windows 10 to English version.
This guide will work on both the Xiaomi Mi Air 12 and 13. But I did used this this on my Mi Air 12. The guide actually is a short revision from the Xiaomi community.
The original source is here, but I did have a different experience, so I am also sharing it here. If you have the same issues as mine, please share this simple guide.
- This guide is a “Clean Install” of English version of 64 bit Windows 10 Home Edition (Single Language), not an upgrade
- Unfortunately, you cannot use the product key from the Chinese version for English, so it is not activated. Tried on mine many times and failed (to activate)
What you need first:
- At least 8 GB of Free USB Disk
- 64 bit Windows 10 Home Edition SL (Single Language) installer (iso form)
- Mi Notebook battery at least 70% or Fully charge
- Mi Notebook Air Drivers. You can visit here (Xiaomi Mi Air 12 Drivers) – you can choose driver integration package (1 GB)
Step 1 (Another PC)
- Use another PC with English Windows 10, because using the Chinese version will also download the Chinese version
- Download Windows 10 installer: go here (select 64 bit Windows 10 Home Edition SL – Single Language)
- Save this as an ISO File
Step 2 (Xiaomi Mi Air 12)
- On your Xiaomi Mi Air 12 or 13, go to command (cmd) and type “wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey” (without the quotations), to get the product key.
- Keep this key for later use
Step 3: (USB Disk)
- Make a bootable disk. On mine, i used RUFUS 2.0 and the settings i used are for UEFI.
- After successfully making a bootable disk
Step 4: (Xiaomi Mi Air 12)
- Power down. Turn on and quickly spam F2 to go to BIOS.
- Go to Boot
- Go to Boot Device Order
- Choose EFI USB Device, reboot and proceed with Installation.
Another case here:
- If the USB disk cannot be seen just like what happened to me.
- What I did was change it to legacy and reboot
- Now it will automatically boot on the USB Disk
- You can change the BIOS settings after
Step 5: Windows 10 Installation
On the Installation Page, you cannot delete just one partition and install it. Because you will get an error:
ERROR “Windows cannot be installed because it has a gipt blah blah…
The only way to correct this is to delete all partitions
Now continue with the installation
You can attempt to activate the key if it can be activated. If not, you need to purchase it unfortunately.
Walla!!! It’s done, you now have a English version of Windows 10 on your Xiaomi Mi Air 12. But there is still a catch. Hope this short guide is helpful.